top of page

The Club was founded in 1894, when Bilston Wanderers and Bilston Rovers amalgamated to form Bilston United FC, and played their home games at Prouds Lane playing fields, using the Spread Eagle pub as their changing rooms!

In 1908 Bilston United became a Limited Company, with many of the Directors being local businessmen.

In 1921 the Club moved to its present 'home' at Queen Street, the first ever game there being against Tamworth Castle.

Six years later the Club went bankrupt, with the ground being sold to the local education committee, with the provi-so that as long as there was a Town team, they would be allowed to use Queen Street. The ground is now owned by Wolverhampton Council, though that proviso still applies.

Less than a year later the Club was reformed as Bilston FC and returned to Queen Street, playing in the Walsall Senior League.

In 1931 the Club changed its name to Bilston Borough, but in 1949, after the end of the War, reverted back to the name of Bilston FC, and entered into a rich period of success, winning the Walsall League and Senior Cup twice, the Walsall Challenge Cup and the Express & Star Cup.

The Club then entered the Birmingham League, winning both League and Cup in 1960-61, with striker Ron McDer-mott scoring 78 goals that season.

That early 60's side enjoyed one of the most successful periods in the Clubs rich history, winning the Staffs Senior Cup in 1959-60, 1960-61 & 1961-62, they also picked up the Walsall Senior Cup in 1961-62, 1962-63 & 1963-64.

In 1968 Bilston reached the First Round of the FA Cup, losing 1-3 at home, to Halifax, with 4,300 packed inside Queen Street.

In 1972-73 Bilston won the West Midlands League & Cup 'double', and also reached the Second Round of the FA Cup, losing 0-1 at home to Barnet after holding them 1-1 at Underhill.
The next 'high' period came in the early 80's, when the Club won the Wednesbury Charity Cup four times in five seasons. In 1983 they changed their name to Bilston Town FC and in 1985 gained promotion to the Southern League Midland Division.

In 2001 the Club missed out on promotion to the Conference South by a single solitary point to Tiverton, and follow-ing that disappointment entered into a downward spiral of fortunes that eventually saw them go out of business in 2005, then due to a mixture of debt and vandalism at their ground the Club was unable to complete the 2005 sea-son and in theory ceased to exist.

The Club was reformed in 2007 and entered into the West Midlands League Division Two, playing their 'home' games at Bantock Park while Queen Street was refurbished and brought back up to standard.

The team returned to their 'spiritual home' in 2008-09 having won promotion to Division One.

In 2012-13 the Club won promotion back to the Premier Division and in October 2013 Danny Mason & Lee Onions were installed as player/managers, and safely negotiated premier division retention.

In November 2013 the current Directors obtained the Clubs lease from Wolverhampton Council, changing the 'trading name' to Bilston Town Community Club and in January 2014 obtained charitable status.

The Club formed a Youth team in season 2013-14 competing in the Midland Floodlit League with the intention of progressing young players into the senior side, thus safeguarding its future still further.

Season 2014-2015 saw former players Danny Mason and Lee Onions take the joint manager roles although despite a great start to the season the duo resigned early in the New Year following a poor run of results. Leon Pugh and Scott Hamilton took over the reigns until the end of the season with a mid-table finish the final outcome.

The Youth team had a managerial change with Scott Hamilton taking over following the resignation of Shaun Pritchard but not before the young Steelmen had a tremendous run in the FA Youth Cup with a 2nd Qualifying Round win over Hereford United on a memorable night at Queen Street although they just missed out on a 1st round match at home to Port Vale when they lost to Ellesmere Rangers in the 3rd Qualifying round.

In the summer of 2015 the club appointed Jon Purdie as the new manager with Josh Skidmore and Mark Davies making up the back room team. Scott Hamilton continued as the Youth team manager for their MFYL campaign, however, Jon and Josh both resigned their positions in March 2016 and Scott Hamilton took over, managing both the first and youth team duties until the end of the season.

The club just escaped relegation after a torrid end of season run with a number of first team players refusing to turn up for the club and it was left to the youth team to step in and ensure the fixtures were completed.

Scott was appointed first-team manager immediately after the final game of the 2015-2016 season and, along with assistant manager Karl Frankham, they assembled a young squad with a desire to play for the club and finished the 16/17 season in 15th place, a marked improvement on the previous season with the highlight being a 3-1 win over Port Vale’s Academy side in the Staffordshire Senior Cup.

During the summer the club received the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, the equivalent of an MBE for voluntary organisations, and are rightly proud of all those who work behind the scenes to keep the club and its community work at the forefront.

The 2017/2018 season was a tough one for the football club with the sudden passing of both Chairman Graham Hodson and Secretary Paul Lloyd which overshadowed the efforts on the field for a large part of the season.

Despite this the club finished in its highest league position since returning to the Premier Division in 2013/14, ending the season in 11th place while also going on to win the Smedley Crooke Memorial Challenge Cup with a 3-2 win over Barnt Green Spartak in the final at Bewdley Town.

2018/2019 saw the club kick-off with seven straight defeats to fall adrift at the bottom of the table but by January they had edged up into mid table following a marked improvement in performances and results. The club eventually finished in 13th place which looked a long way off in mid-September.

2019/2020 was a season of upheaval as the season began with Scott Hamilton in charge but due to personal and work commitments he had to resign and his assistant Noel Cotterill took over. However, Cotterill’s reign was short and, in October, Wayne Spicer replaced him in the manager’s seat with former coach Hayden Foote returning to Queen Street as part of the backroom team.

The Covid pandemic shortened season began a period of change as Wayne Spicer took the opportunity to manage step 3 side Redditch United and Dean Gill move across from Wolverhampton Casuals after applying for the vacant position.


A promising start was made to the 2020/21 season, however, the second curtailed season in a row led to the departure of Gill and the majority of the squad to pastures new at Darlaston Town with Wayne Spicer, who had left Redditch for personal reasons earlier in the season, returning to the Bilston dugout with Hayden Foote and Max Black on the coaching staff along with Tom Read as keeper coach and Adam Paget as physio.

The club kicked off the 2021/22 season in the Midland Football League Division One following the non-league re-structure and also entered a reserve team in the Birmingham & District Football League to help with the transition from youth to adult football in connection with its partnership with the Sturridge Football Academy. 

Despite spending most of the season in the top half of the table the club missed out on the play-offs after finishing their first MFL season in 7th place. Manager Wayne Spicer moved into a Head of Football Operations role at the club midway through the season with assistant Hayden Foote taking over the manager's role.  

At the end of the season Foote resigned due to personal commitments with Mike Dunn appointed the new manager in May 2022, assisted by Ryan Westley and Aaron McFarlane-Archer.

bottom of page